AICPA American Institute of
Certified Public Accountants
Communication With Audit
1. This Statement establishes a requirement for the auditor to
determine that certain matters related to the conduct of an audit are
communicated to those who have responsibility for oversight of the
financial reporting process. 1 For purposes of this document, the recipient
of the communications is referred to as the audit committee. The
communications required by this Statement are applicable to ( 1) entities
that either have an audit committee or that have otherwise formally
designated oversight of the financial reporting process to a group
equivalent to an audit committee ( such as a finance committee or
1 Communication with the audit committee by the independent auditor on certain
specified matters when they arise in the conduct of an audit is required by other standards,
• SAS No. 60, Communication of Internal Control Structure Related Matters
Noted in an Audit.
• SAS No. 53, The Auditor's Responsibility to Detect and Report Errors and Irregularities.
• SAS No. 54, Illegal Acts by Clients.
• SAS No. 36, Review of Interim Financial Information ( AICPA, Professional Standards,
vol. 1, AU sec. 722).
This Statement does not modify the requirements of these standards.
Copyright © 1988 by the
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Inc.
1211 Avenue of the Americas, New York, N. Y. 10036- 8775
1234567890 AudS 898
Issued by the Auditing Standards Board