American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
The Confirmation Process
Introduction and Applicability
1. This Statement provides guidance about the confirmation process
in audits performed in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards.
• Defines the confirmation process ( see paragraph 4).
• Discusses the relationship of confirmation procedures to the auditor's
assessment of audit risk ( see paragraphs 5 through 10).
• Describes certain factors that affect the reliability of confirmations
( see paragraphs 16 through 27).
• Provides guidance on performing alternative procedures when
responses to confirmation requests are not received ( see paragraphs
31 and 32).
• Provides guidance on evaluating the results of confirmation procedures
( see paragraph 33).
• Specifically addresses the confirmation of accounts receivable and
supersedes paragraphs 3 through 8 of Statement on Auditing
Standards ( SAS) No. 1, Codification of Auditing Standards and
Procedures ( AICPA, Professional Standards, vol. 1, AU sec.
331.03-. 08), and the portion of paragraph 1 of AU section 331 that
addresses the confirmation of receivables ( see paragraphs 34 and
Copyright © 1991 by the
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Inc.
1211 Avenue of the Americas, New York, N. Y. 10036- 8775
1234567890 AudS 998765432 1
Issued by the Auditing Standards Board 67