HENRY E. MENDES
A NATIVE NEW YORKER, Henry Mendes joined Touche-Niven in February,
1910 after having completed the course in accountancy and business
administration at Pace Institute the previous month. He helped open
the St. Louis Office in 1915 and managed it until 1919 when he moved to
Cleveland to open and manage the office in that city. Admitted to partnership
in January 1919, he returned to the New York Office in the fall
During his active years, Mr. Mendes held office and served on many
committees of The New York State Society of CPAs and the American
Institute of Accountants, including the Institute's Board of Examiners for
the past ten years 1936-1946, the last four as chairman. He was president
of the New York State CPA Board of Examiners from 1925 to 1930.
Mr. Mendes has always been keenly interested in civic affairs. He was
chairman of the town of Mamaroneck (N.Y.) War Council during World
War II; treasurer, then president, of the Larchmont Community Chest
for several terms. He has also served as the chairman of the accountants'
division for many fund-raising activities in New York City including
Catholic Charities, National War Fund, American Red Cross and National
Foundation for Infantile Paralysis.
Since his retirement to advisory partner status in 1952, Henry Mendes
makes his home in Larchmont, New York where he and his family have
lived for the past thirty-two years.